It’s winter and we want Tacos (although we kind of always want tacos). Better still? A Taco Salad. Hold that. A VEGAN Taco Salad. Made with our Seitan. Lucky for us, our friends at Hipster Food have conquered our craving with this incredible recipe! Eat on, meatless mavens!
Vegan Seitan Taco Salad
We eat taco salad at our house at LEAST once a week. Its mixture of textures, flavors, and temperatures are so satisfying, and it doesn’t take much effort to make. It makes for a good party food or a “it’s really late at night and we have no ingredients” kind of meal. Like making regular tacos, you can really add or subtract whichever ingredients you like - so you could easily switch out the lentils for beans, or add hot peppers if you want it spicier. Up to you!
1 large sweet potato
1.5 cup lentils (or 1-2 cans beans)
1 large red onion, loosely chopped
1 large bell pepper, loosely chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 can sweet corn
oil or coconut oil
2 hass avocados
1 package Westsoy Cubed Seitan
2 tsp sriracha, or to taste
pinch each garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
sea salt & cracked pepper
1. Chop up the potato & put it in a pot of boiling water. Rinse the lentils and remove any debris, then put in a pot of salted boiling water. (If you’re using canned beans there’s obviously no reason to boil them. Just add them in at step 5.)
2. Chop the onion, peppers, and garlic. Put them in a hot pan with the corn and oil. Let cook on medium-high until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
3. Meanwhile, halve the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Using a potato masher (or fork, but the masher is so much easier) mash the avocado with some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Set aside with one of the pits in the bowl, to prevent browning.
4. When the onions & peppers are ready, add in the cubed seitan. Add the sriracha and spices and turn the pan down to medium heat.
5. The lentils should be ready soon. When they are, add them into the onion/seitan pan.
6. The sweet potatoes should be ready once you’ve done that. In a bowl or colander, stir them together with a pinch of sugar and some sea salt.
7. Serve everything hot. Crunch up the chips in your bowl and add the foods you prepped, mix them together and chow down.